The San Antonio Business Group on Health (SABGH), in collaboration with the Mayor’s Fitness Council (MFC), announces the “Devoted to Health: Embrace the Step” stairwell campaign. In 2012, Baptist Health Foundation awarded the MFC a grant to increase physical activity in the workplace.
Choosing the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator is one way for people to be more physically active at work. Reasons employees may not use the stairs at work are because they perceive them as uninviting or unsafe.
The “Devoted to Health: Embrace the Steps” stairwell campaign consists of five posters (8 ½” X 11” and 11” X 17”) containing motivation messages promoting stair usage. We encourage employers to place the posters near elevators, escalators, and stairwells. You may want to consider tracking stair usage before and after the campaign.
CDC’s StairWELL to Better Health:
Promoting Stair Usage
Below are more ways to improve your stairwells and promote stair usage among employees.
- Announce the campaign in your newsletter, wellness emails, or bathroom banter
- Integrate walk and talk meetings with stair use
- Encourage employees to take stretch breaks by taking the stairs
- Increase awareness of stair usage in health education materials
- Hold drawings among stairwell users for prizes
- Hold a contest for employees to track the number of flights walked
Physical Alterations to Stairwells:
- Paint the stairwells bright colors
- Hang artwork in the stairwell
- Enhance the lighting in the stairwells for safety
- Add rubber treating for safety
- Carpet your stairwell
- Install music
- Theme stairwells
The mission of the MFC is to lead San Antonio to be one of the healthiest and most active communities in the nation in which residents, groups and organizations work collaboratively to achieve targeted health and fitness goals.