The families and members of NAMI San Antonio are here to help! We offer understanding to anyone concerned about mental illnesses and the treatment of mental illness.
Mental illnesses are brain disorders that are biologically based medical problems. Untreated, they can cause severe disturbances in thinking, feeling and relating. This results in substantially diminished capacity for dealing with the ordinary demands of life. Mental illness can affect persons of any age and occur in any family. They are not caused by bad parenting and not evidence of weakness of character.
NAMI San Antonio is committed to improving the quality of life for all people affected by mental illness by providing support, education, referral sources and legislative advocacy.
Advocate at the county, state and national levels for non-discriminatory access to quality healthcare, housing , education and employment for people with mental illness.
- Educate the public about mental illness.
- Work to eliminate the stigma of mental illness.
- Advocate for increased funding for research into the causes and treatment of mental illness.
The vision of NAMI San Antonio is to ensure acceptance of and treatment for all those with mental illness to facilitate recovery. NAMI San Antonio shall:
- Ensure any persons affected by mental illnesses shall have adequate resources;
- Eliminate the stigma of mental illness; and
- Lead the way with successful advocacy efforts.