Few things sound better on a hot, South Texas evening than ice cream. Unfortunately, adding a scoop of this delectable, refreshing treat on a regular basis can add up to extra pounds on the scale. On the flip side, most people can afford to add some equally refreshing (depending on whom you ask) cool, fresh fruit to their daily diets. What if it were possible to somehow merge the two so you could have the satisfaction of ice cream while simultaneously adding healthy fruit to the mix? It can be possible. While there are several fancy kitchen tools on the market that can help you turn frozen bananas into soft serve, but all you really need is a good blender or food processor. The added bonus is that it is seriously easy!
Banana Soft Serve
1 large or 2 small banana(s)
*mix-ins of choice
- Make sure the bananas are soft and ripe so they are at the sweet stage
- Peel the bananas and slice into coins, about the same size
- Place the pieces in an airtight container for 4 hours to overnight
- Place the pieces in a blender or small food processor until the oatmeal morphs into what looks like creamy oatmeal and continue to blend until it looks like soft serve ice cream.
- You can consume right away or re-freeze for a bit to get it to be more like traditional ice cre
Note: Freezing leftovers will result in the “ice cream” hardening a bit. Let it sit out for a few minutes before scooping
While keeping it still simple, you can throw in other ingredients before it hits the done stage in the blender to add variety. I have seen so many good ideas online, here are some of my favorites:
- peanut or almond butter or a handful of nuts (extra protein)
- chocolate chips, cocoa powder or a spoon of nutella for a taste of chocolate
- additional fruit such as blueberries or strawberries
- spices such as pumpkin pie or cinnamon
I hope you enjoy your first official month to summer!